In addition to your MMS Community Library card, any person who lives, works, attends school or pays property taxes in New York State is eligible to receive a New York Public Library (NYPL) card free of charge. A card will allow you to borrow library materials, download digital media, access hundreds of electronic databases for research, and more.
You can apply for a New York Public Library card in New York City at any branch, or online to receive your card by mail. To apply online, click the link below. Children under the age of 12 must have a parent or guardian apply in-person.
To be considered a resident of NYS, your home address must be located in New York State. After you apply online, e-mail your valid identification to email@example.com, or fax it to (212) 621-0278. Your card will be mailed to you. Please allow four to six weeks for processing and delivery.
Need help emailing or faxing copies of your documents? A library staff member would be happy to help.
Acceptable Proofs of Identity
Adults may provide only one piece of identification if it is 1 of the following valid New York State or City IDs:
- Current driver’s license
- Current photo learner’s permit
- Current non-driver’s identification (includes IDNYC)
Young Adults (ages 13-17) can show the same ID as adults. Alternatively, young adults may present 1 of the following, provided name and address* are included in the documentation:
- Current school photo ID
- Current report or program card
- Working papers
If the above documentation is not available, any 2 of the following forms of identification are acceptable for adults and/or young adults, provided one shows a photo and name and/or signature and the other the applicant’s current address:
- Current college or university photo ID card
- Current employee photo ID card
- New York City welfare ID card
- Current Armed Services ID card
- Alien Registration photo ID card
- Matricula Consular (Mexican CID)
- Current passport
- Medicare/Medicaid card
- Social Security card
- Birth certificate
- New York State motor vehicle registration
- Professional, vocational or union photo ID
- Current rent bill or lease agreement
- Tax bill or receipt**
- Transit pass
- Current photo ID with signature and expiration date issued by an embassy or consulate in New York
- Statement from a homeless shelter*
- Bank statement**
- Cable, phone or utility bill**
- Any piece of mail delivered by the US Post Office**
Children ages 0-12 must have their application completed and signed by a parent or guardian, who can provide the above identification/address validation on their child’s behalf.
*Note: Post office boxes are not accepted as mailing addresses. Proof of residence is required.
**Note: Any tax bills, rent receipts or statements from a homeless shelter used for verification of your identity must be dated no more than 2 months prior to the application date.
**Note: Any of the above must be dated within the last 2 months, as indicated by the postmark or date of printed e-bill.
More information is available at https://www.nypl.org/get-library-card.